Friday, May 25, 2007

Something is rotten in the land of Blogger

I and at least one other blogger I know of have had this problem with comments: the commenter had thought s/he successfully posted a comment but returns later to find that the comment is not, in fact, there. I know about the other blogger because this very thing happened to me this morning at that other blog.

This sucks for all sorts of technical and, even more importantly, social reasons, and I sincerely apologize to each and all if you find this has happened to you. I assure you I don't know what the problem is.

For the time being, I've disabled the notorious Word Verification function, which is (I know, I know) an oh-so-royal pain in the posterior under the best of circumstances. My hope is that doing that will fix things. I'll just have to take my chances with spammers until a) the problem gets fixed or b) pack up my little old blog and head over to WordPress or Typepad.

I'm going on about this because I am exceedingly grateful to those of you who take the time to post a comment, and the last thing I want is for anyone to presume that I have deleted comments without explanation. I'd rather spend some time deleting spam than have to spend time repairing relationships threatened by misunderstandings over stuff like this.

If you have or have had trouble recently posting comments here, please inform me so I can make some further noise over at the Blogger forum. You may reach me at blogmeridian (at) sbcglobal (dot) net.

Thanks in advance for your patience and understanding.

9 comments:

FletcherDodge said...

This comment did not get deleted.

John B. said...

Well, yes. I should have added in the post--and will--that even more frustrating is that this bug appears to happen intermittently. I wouldn't have known about the problem if Winston hadn't come back later and posted a comment to that effect. If it were causing this to happen to every single comment, it (again, for social reasons) wouldn't be nearly as upsetting: all would be equally punished.

As I noted, I have the verification thing turned off, too, so we'll see what happens without that on.

But thanks for testing things.

Paul D. said...

I haven't had any complaints at my blog except from those people who just don't like the fact that I moderate my blog. That said, blogger has been a little scary the last few weeks in terms of saving stuff. It may be because of ongoing changes that blogger has been making in terms of template editing.

Gwynne said...

The only problem I've ever had posting comments on your blog is coming up with something witty, entertaining or enlightening to contribute to the discussion. ;-)

I've disabled W.V. also, for what that is worth...it just gets to be more nuisance than it's worth.

Anonymous said...

This has heppened to me (here) a few times.

And then I forget what I wrote.

Anonymous said...

I read another blogger user mentioning the same thing earlier today, so it is not just you. Although, I did hear some people snickering over drinks and referring to you most disparagingly as "John the Censor".

And before you get your panties in a twist, I will fess up that I'm jesting. But you knew that, didn't you?

The blogger word verification doodad is the absolute worst nightmare that any of us face. I do not think I have ever, in 100s or 1000s of uses, seen it accept my input the first time when I know very well that it is correct. I highly recommend WordPress if and when you are ready to graduate to something better.

John B. said...

Thanks for the info, everyone.
Paul, your holding comments for your approval has never bothered me. I figure that's the prerogative of the blogger--s/he sets the rules.
Hank, I wish I had known that was happening with you in the past. I would have tried to remedy it long before now.
Winston, no offense taken. And yes, I've played around with WordPress in the past. It and TypePad have some of the best-looking templates out there. I may write you to pick your brain one of these days.

In the meantime: so far, no spammer comments. Of course, who reads this thing anyway?

Charles Churchill said...

This happens to all the extremely clever comments I leave on sites hosted by blogger. Oddly enough, it also seems that I only comment cleverly on blogger sites...

John B. said...

Gymbrall,
You and me both. Those Typepad people intimidate me . . .