Wednesday, October 25, 2006

The Complete "A Stretch of River"

Once upon a time (June of 2005), Scruffy and I took a walk along a little creek just downhill from where we Meridians were living at the time, and I was so struck by what I was seeing and found myself thinking that I thought I'd blog about some of it. There are two posts from that time. Then in August of '05 we moved downtown to some apartments hard by the Little Arkansas River, and I thought I'd keep on writing the occasional post about the half-mile or so of river that Scruffy and I walk every morning and most evenings. Along the way, I've been surprised and flattered by the cumulative reaction to these posts, never more than with my most recent one, which no fewer than three different blogs have linked to. Well, okay: Three is a lot for this humble blog.

As it is with most surprising and good things, I can't say as I can account for just what it is that people seem to like in these posts, but some of them have suggested that it would be a good idea to gather them together in some way. That seems like a good idea to me. So, that is what this is.

Below the fold, the complete linklist for the "Stretch of . . . " posts, and over in the gutter I'll be posting a link to this post. And, of course, as new "Stretch of . . . " posts get written, I'll do my best to remember to add them to this list.

The attentive among you will note that it appears that posts XIII and XIV are missing. They are not; I just mis-numbered. Oh well.

Thanks to all of you for the kind words and encouragement. I hope you'll find something worth the trouble of clicking on the link.

A stretch of creek

Birds at Gypsum Creek

A stretch of river

A stretch of river II: An article and a frame

A stredtch of river III: The "regulars"

A stretch of river IV: Migrations and slow time

A stretch of river V: Clarity

A stretch of river VI: Ice

A stretch of river VI: Ice (part 2)

A stretch of river VII: On the indeterminacy of the sign

A stretch of river VIII: Diesel fumes as madeleine; or, Blurred borders

A stretch of river IX: Writers

A stretch of river X: Spring

A stretch of river XI: Not quite "MacArthur Park" . . .

A stretch of river XII: Wildness

A stretch of river XII: Cottonwoods in bloom(sday)

A stretch of river XV: The Ninety-Nine-Percent Doctrine

A stretch of river XVI: Wildlife species census

A stretch of river XVII: Nature

A stretch of riverXVIII: Eau d'Wet Dawg

A stretch of river XIX: Request post

A stretch of river XX: Two silhouettes

A stretch of river XXI: Resisting Thoreau

A stretch of river XXII: 37

A stretch of river XXIII: Curious things; curious about things

A stretch of river XXIV: Travels with Scruffy; or, My dog will call your dog

A stretch of river XXV: Haiku

A stretch of river XXVI: What matters

A stretch of river XVII: It was a beauteous evening

A stretch of river XXVIII: "Geography Songs;" or, "Nothing that is not there/And the nothing that is"

A stretch of river XXIX: Scruffy's past

A stretch of river XXX: A history lesson

A stretch of river XXXI: Roosting Crows

A stretch of river XXXII: Dog-walker in the snow

A stretch of river XXXIII: And the raven never flitting . . . "

A stretch of river XXXIV: An unstopped stopwatch

A stretch of river XXXV: "Here comes a frame-house down on the west side"

A stretch of river XXXVI: Good old Corot, and places to go

A stretch of river XXXVII: Distracted

A stretch of river XXXVIII: In which Scruffy and the Meridian read some history, with an assist from Richard Slotkin

A stretch of river XXXIX: Updating the wildlife census, and some thoughts on this blog's epigraph

A stretch of river XL: Wood ducks and their cold feet

A stretch of river XLI: Dog Days

A stretch of river XLII: Signs, signs, everywhere a sign

A stretch of river XLIII: Wind and Wallace Stevens

A stretch of river XLIV: Scruffy as Ishmael

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It appears you have the makings of a book, an anthology titled "A Stretch of River". Remember us little folks when you've hit the bigtime...

John B. said...

I won't get above my raisin', Winston.