Friday, November 21, 2008

I'm still here . . .

"What Lurks Beneath the Surface of Serenity Cove." A collaborative effort between Damien Hirst and Thomas Kinkade in the mind of John B. that will make more sense when you read the post.

I've been occupied with things other than blogging for the past few days, and that will remain the case for a day or two more. In the meantime, though, I'll point you toward this recent article in Vanity Fair about the assistance Thomas Kinkade rendered to the makers of the straight-to-DVD film Thomas Kinkade's The Christmas Cottage, and say to myself, I knew he was evil!

Funny-in-a-disturbing-yet-ironic/poetic-sense note: the article notes Kinkade has earned over $5 billion over the past 16 years. The only other, um, artist I can think of who is making that kind of money is Damien Hirst. It's kinda fun to think that either man could have said the following:

"I can’t wait to get into a position to make really bad art and get away with it. At the moment if I did certain things people would look at it, consider it and then say 'f off'. But after a while you can get away with things."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hirst and Kinkaid really are two sides to the same coin, aren't they?

Cheers.

John B. said...

Yessir--right down to the assembly-line warehouses with assistants who copy the artist's prototypes. At least, this is how Hirst does some of his stuff.

Of course, so did Reubens: assistants did the blocking out for larger canvases, then Peter would come along and finish up. But I'm not that big a fan of Reubens, either, for what that's worth.