Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Too much information/Runnin' through my brain

I'm still here. In one sense, there's been plenty to write something about, but in another, as I've thought about all those things, I quickly realize that what I know or believe about those things doesn't add up to a whole heck of a lot. "Que sais-je?" indeed. Or, like Socrates, I only know that I know nothing.

So, until I can sort through all this information to see if the color in my pan is gold and not pyrite, here, via Andrew Sullivan, is a little article about the expanding meaning of information. Be sure as well to have a look at the Sullivan link: he's included a Google Ngram chart showing the frequency of "information"'s appearance in print.

Have a look as well at a few quotes by Neil Postman, one of whose big themes was Information as shaped by mass media.

No comments: