Thursday, March 31, 2005

Thoreau and the Morning Mirror

The morning, which is the most memorable season of the day, is the awakening hour. Then there is least somnolence in us; and for an hour, at least, some part of us awakes which slumbers all the rest of the day and night.
--Walden

The above passage sprang instantly to mind as I realized yesterday morning, while staring into the mirror and trying to decide whether or not to shave, that my gray hair is more visible in the morning than at any other time of day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boy that Walden fellow really knew what he was talking about. Why is it that I so often glance at the clock and realise I've achieved nothing and it's midday already?

Shit, is that the time!?

John B. said...

I suppose this is true of much great writing, but: as one of my colleagues once said, "The older I get, the more I understand Thoreau." The paradox, of course, is that Thoreau's ideal audience really is not us elderly types but the no-longer-typical Traditional College Student.