Sunday, April 22, 2007

"The questions I walk around listening to"

Via Cordelia of Phenomenal Field (whom I learned of via Jimmy at The New York Minute and who is yet another in my growing list of Bloggers I Wish I Could Write Like) comes a simple but interesting music meme, courtesy of Two Dishes, But To One Table (yet another good-looking, well-written blog): List the songs on your iPod that begin with the 5 W's (Who? What? Where? When? Why?) and How?

Well, I don't have an iPod, but I do listen to iTunes while doing computer stuff, so that will be my list's source (below the fold):

Curiously, no "When" titles (I have Led Zeppelin's "When the Levee Breaks" and the B. B. King/U2 duet "When Love Comes to Town," but those are obviously statements and not questions.) What's also interesting is that this list gives a sense of the range of my collection as a whole (though it's not quite as weighted toward blues and jazz as the titles here are, and there are no classical, proggy or post-rock titles here). That range is not something I would have initially suspected.

Who?

"Who Will the Next Fool Be?" Charlie Rich
"Who Says a Funk Band Can't Play Rock?!" Funkadelic (or does the exclamation point disqualify it?)
"Wawusho Kubani?" ("Who Were you Talking To?") Ladysmith Black Mambazo
"Who's Gonna Be Your Sweet Man?" Muddy Waters


What?

"Machengoidi?" ("What Is Your Contribution?") Ali Farka Touré
"Y tú, qué has hecho?" ("And You, What Have You Done?") Buena Vista Social Club
"What Kind of Man Is That?" Koko Taylor
"What's the Frequency, Kenneth?" R.E.M.
"What'd I Say?" Ray Charles
"What Is This Thing Called Love?" Sarah Vaughn
"What's So Funny About Peace, Love, and Understanding?" Steve Earle
"What Do You Think?" The Sundays


Where?

"Oh God, Where Are You Now?" Sufjan Stevens


Why?

"Why Should I Care?" Diana Krall
"Why Do Fools Fall in Love?" Joni Mitchell
"Why Should I Love You? Kate Bush
"Why?" Robert Plant


How?

"How Blue Can You Get?" B. B. King
"How Many Mics?" The Fugees
"How Deep Is the Ocean?" Diana Krall
"How Long?" Ladysmith Black Mambazo
"How Do You Do?" Radiohead
"How High the Moon?" Sarah Vaughn
"How Did You Know?" Willy Porter

1 comment:

Gwynne said...

I couldn't resist the challenge and while I applaud your efforts to leave out the ones that started with one of the W's but did not end with a question mark, I carried on as if that did not matter much. And like you, I found that most of the questions seem to be addressed in the blues and gospel sections. I guess this makes sense, eh?