Thursday, August 07, 2008

Ta-Nehisi Coates on Affirmative Action

Shortly after I wrote this post on Ta-Nehisi Coates, he got picked up by The Atlantic to blog for them. Coincidence???

Anyway, this is Coates' first week, and today he's been engaging his readers on the issue of (some) whites' responses to Affirmative Action. If you've ever given that subject any serious thought, positive or negative (and that, I suspect, would be most people who read this blog), I think you'll want to read his posts. He may not persuade you--he himself is not a full-bore supporter of Affirmative Action--but, like all good writers, he will make you think.

This, I think, is the best summation of Coates' thinking on the matter: "Many of you know where I stand on Affirmative Action--I think it is, how shall we say, problematic. But that feeling does nothing to ameliorate my fundamental distaste for whites who use Affirmative Action as a proxy to "resent" blacks."

Here in order (so far) are the posts:

"White Racism vs. White Resentment"

"Occasionally I do this thing . . . "

"The 'Wasn't Me' Defense"

"For the Record"

No comments: